Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Rainy Day in North Carolina

So what better to do on a rainy day? You can't ride, right, so why not go check out the local bike shops when you're new to a town? Great idea! And I did.

Right down the road there was a shop in a tiny strip mall that simply read: BICYCLES in white letters on a blue storefront panel. Inside of BICYCLES, I was pleasently surprised with what is more notably known as the Clemmons Bicycles Shop. Right away I was floored with the beautiful store and wide variety of high-end to beginner bicycles, components and apparel. This shop has everything!

Clemmons Bicycles is owned by two young cyclists, Travis and Josh. I had a great time talking "shop", pun intended, with these two. I was excited and surprised to learn that Josh is also a single speed cross nut like myself. He's out there at the NCCX series races churning his 34:17 like a badass in the Pro1/2 races. Nuts.

Over the years, I've had a great deal of experience with bike shops as a consumer and a shop rat myself. Some shops know what they are doing and what's going on in the biz. Other shops really don't have a clue. Travis and Josh, they've got it going on at Clemmons Bicycles. We talked about the industry, about local racing and riding and the more I talked the more I felt like I had found my new local bike shop. I would trust these fellas with any and every bike problem, build, etc. Not because they said they'd pay me to write this (because they didn't), but because they are just as passionate about bikes and riding as I am. Not overly concerned with mark-up, quotas and selling the most expensive bike they have (you should see the beautiful Storck bikes, they are one of the few shops in America to sell and own some of these German engineered speed mongrols)...just to make a buck. I walked away with the impression that they truly want to cater to every rider's needs from blossoming newbie to the hard-seasoned veteran.

If you're in the Piedmont Triad area, living, travelling or here for a race-don't hesitate to stop by and see Travis and Josh. Or check out their website at: clemmonsbicycle.com. I feel confident in saying that they will take care of you.

Now, I'm off to do my other favorite thing to do on a rainy day: watch old Tour de France documentaries. Don't scoff at my nerdiness. :)

Hope everyone enjoyed their New Years, time to get working on those base miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment